Tuesday, May 13, 2008

What resembled a kidnapping end up as a beautiful day

We made it and now have Rita!!! First of all our travel was much smoother this time around than last time. We didn't miss any flights, didn't loose any luggage and our guide was at the airport in \yerevan on time!!! I did try to board the wrong plan in Chicago but thankfully the machine spit out tickets out and the agent sent us to the correct terminal.

Just to save time typing and to respect the privacy of those involved I'm going to share some abbreviations.
F- our agency facilitator
O- orphanage
G- Rita's main and beloved nanny
B- our beautiful young translator and city guide

So F, Ted and I left Yerevan very early to head to Guymri. First we had to go to the court house and to the registrars office. Then to the O. I had thought that G was going to be in Russia for the month of May but she was with Rita when we arrived at the O. As soon as Rita saw us she gave us a respectful hug and kiss but quickly clutched onto G. She was saying over and over that she would come to America in 2 days but NOT today. G kept trying to reassure her but it was quickly becoming evident that this was not going to be an easy transition. G and Rita took Ted and me back to Rita's room. It was heart breaking to see all of Rita's friends again. Two children went right up to Ted and reached their arms out to him. He knelt on the floor and they both attached to him very quickly. G helped Rita change her clothes and pack her back pack. All along Rita would not let go of G. G told Rita that she would come to America too (while winking at Ted). G has to be a very strong women because I was crying and she held her composure but I'm sure that she was torn up on the inside. We left the room and G told Rita to say good-bye to the cooks. I looked at Ted and said that I didn't think I was going to make it. I took a deep breath as we headed outside knowing that this was not going to be easy. Rita was quickly becoming hysterical just standing by the car. G kept trying to calm her down but it wasn't working. Ted and I had to go back up stairs to sign some papers. The windows were open and we could hear Rita howling. It was the most traumatic thing I have ever experienced. Ted and I went back to the car. F said that Rita was not going to get into the car so "we must just take her and go." Ted started to help with forcing Rita into the car but I told him to let the others do it. Ted got in the front and I got in the back and it took 3 adults to put her in the back with me. It was soooooooo horrible. Once the door was closed she was kicking and screaming G---, G---G-- F drove away and really, truly felt like we were kidnapping her but I understood there was no other way. While we were still in Guymri she got the door open and was half of the way out while the car was still moving. F locked the doors and the kicking and pounding continued. She would get quiet for awhile and then start all over. I tried rubbing her back but she didn't want anything to do with me. It is a 2 hour drive back to Yerevan and it was fairly miserable. We had given her chewable tablets for motion sickness. She reached the 24 hour allowance before we got into Yerevan so I tried to give her pepto but she didn't like it. She had settled down for the most part and just as we entered the city limits she started barfing!!! I had stolen a barf bag from the airplane anticipating this. She got most of the barf in the bag but still got some on her clothes, me and F's car seat. Once there was nothing left in her stomach she told F to tell me that she will be a good girl and learn English very quickly. I didn't know which was most heart breaking the kidnapping incident or the why that she wanted to please me. Honestly after this she didn't cry the rest of the day. F told her all about our beautiful apartment and the nice clothes that we had brought her and that we would go to a restaurant tonight. She stated that she much put clean clothes on before going to the restaurant.

As soon as we got back to the apartment she was so excited to go through her backpack of clothes. She loved everything and everything was so beautiful. She choose a shirt and pair of pants with butterflies on it. By this point F had turned us over to B. B is a sweet girl and Rita really likes her. B took us shopping and to dinner. B was so entertained by Rita's silly comments at the restaurant. B had asked her if she had ever been to a restaurant. Rita said ,yes, once when I was much younger....too funny, like she is so old know. B brought us back to the apartment and stayed for awhile. Rita brought out her photo album of her friends from the O. Rita showed B pictures of G and said, without tear, "this is G, she was my nanny and she took very good care of me." I had B discuss a few things with Rita before she left like bath time, pajamas and bedtime. I was worried that Rita would become upset at bed time but she never did. She did move me into to her room (even my clothes) Papa now has his own room and Rita and I are like college roommates with her side and my side. I tucked her in and she was giggling because I was being silly. She woke up this morning all smiles. I can honestly say that when we were leaving the O I really questioned my sanity but now I know that this girl is our daughter without a doubt. She is a bit shy around Ted but is coming around quickly.

Guess what...the intenet in the cafes is very fast BUT I forgot my UBS cord so you'll have to wait until we get home for pictures.....sorry!!! There is much more to tell but Ted, Rita and B are back from their walk so I must go. Keep us in your prayers. Alison

5 comments:

Rhonda said...

OMG Alison!!! I am so glad that you have Rita, but how aweful for all of you to experience. I am so sorry that it was so traumatic for her and for you. I hope that each day gets a little easier and that you can all start the healing process. I'll keep you all in my prayers. I can't wait to see photos of Rita with her new family!

Rhonda (Jocelyn's mom)

Unknown said...

God bless Miss Rita. We hope you all come home quickly and safely.

Please give Rita hugs and kisses from Anna.

Anna, Jim, Roynda

Kathy said...

Lots of prayers going out!! What a turn around. May the coming days go very well for all of you.

Sam said...

What a hard day! I'm so glad things got better!!! Have a wonderful time getting to know your new daughter!!!!

Carla said...

WOW!!! She is a trooper! I know things will get better each day. I sure your heart aches for her.

Blessings,
Carla